Well! Settling back into a routine after a week of doing a lot of traveling, swimming, and in general having a good time is incredibly difficult. How does anyone ever really go on vacation? ^.^;
Sunday was mostly spent in unpacking (almost done…! >_<), eating, visiting with my sister, and unwinding from the hell that was Saturday’s travel. Yesterday I got right back on track with sewing, though, and have started translating some designs into patterns – so far, only the designs that don’t require a dress form! This week will mostly be about getting those patterns cut out and ready, as well as devising a method for translating the patchwork into three-dimensional objects (I’m still not sure what will make the most sense).
Here are some pictures of the work I did yesterday:
With my teensy serger, I finished the edges of the patterns. I was thinking, if I’m making patterns out of fabric instead of paper, how can I keep the edges from fraying after many uses? Serge the raw edges, of course! I did a lot of measuring and cutting yesterday of the simplest of my designs – a yoga bag, and a hat that resembles a muffin cap (though hopefully it won’t look too muffin like!). Here is what they looked like on paper:
I had a scanner, but it’s currently in storage, so hi-res pictures will have to do for now! Here are some other designs that I’m going to be working on for the first phase of things:
Please forgive my drawing skills; these things look much clearer in my head and, hopefully, will come out much clearer once the patterns have been made! The designs are fairly simple, and I think I won’t have too much trouble turning them into patterns that work. The fun and funky part will come with the patchwork – at least, that’s the hope! Again, this is a huge experiment, so we’ll see how it works.
The biggest challenge will be taking the patchwork and turning it into clothes – I’m still debating between two major methods: either (1) creating large swaths of patchwork “yardage” – like a giant quilt top – and using it as though it were a bolt of fabric, laying the pattern down on it, and cutting it out, or (2) cutting out small pieces of fabric and matching them to the pattern, then sewing the patchwork together. I think the first method will most likely be the most efficient, but we’ll see if I have the patience for it…!
The rest of the week will be getting back on track after my week-long illness (which magically dissipated just in time for Mexico) and Mexico. I still have to sort through those pictures and edit them (and post them on Flickr, I think I’m done using Facebook for a while), pre-wash all of my fabrics (by hand, ack!), and finish getting these patterns out. I think that’s a reasonable amount of work to do by the end of the week, and I will keep everyone posted as progress continues!
For now, late lunch!